Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Books, books, books...

I have a serious problem with children's picture books - I could buy new ones everyday - so many lovely illustrations, little works of art!  In order to combat the spending frenzy that inevitably happens when we hit our favorite bookstore, Wild Rumpus, we try to make weekly trips to the library.  Minneapolis has a gorgeous one downtown and we've spent many a Tuesday there finding new favorites and discovering old ones. I recently stumbled across an old favorite "Jennie's Hat" by Ezra Jack Keats...did you have this one as a child?  I remember obsessing over the gorgeous hats, Jennie's fab style and all the flowers...Isn't it lovely?


Made a new discovery this week as well - The Wonder Bear and Bunny Days by Tao Nyeu...I love the color saturated illustration and quirky storylines...


Some of our past and current faves:
George and Martha totally cracks me up and James Marshall also illustrated one of my other childhood faves - Miss Nelson is Missing, Everybody Bonjours, anything by Mo Willems - Knuffle Bunny & Edwina, Lauren Child's The Princess and the Pea...and I could go on for days but I'd love to hear some of yours!
xoxo

3 comments:

  1. Ah...the more I read your lovely blog, the more I think we are kindred spirits in a way. I have such a problem with children's books that I have piles of them in my closet. I give a few at a time to my tot. We love Mo Willems too. Since you asked, (and since I love to talk children's books), some of my current favs are:
    A Balloon for Blunderbuss by Alistair Reid
    Little One and Sparkle and Spin by Ann Rand and Paul Rand
    Polka Bats and Octopus Slacks by Calef Brown
    The Little House (out of print) by Virginia Lee Burton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the new suggestions...can't wait to check them out!

    ReplyDelete

I'm hanging on your every word...let me know what you think!