Tuesday, March 23, 2010

In December, drinking horchata...




Can I make you girls a tiny bit jealous and tell you I had a babysitter last night so I could go to the Vampire Weekend show?  Since these boys are known for clean cut threads and an afro-pop beat I took a cue and worked up a nautical/tropical/preppy ensemble...and yes, they were awesome...
For everyday I'd pair this with the Virginia Johnson Peacock Scarf but if you want to take it up a notch I'm completely in love with the Lizzie Fortunato Faded Grandeur Necklace...
My favorite Splendid Blazer in Navy, super soft DemyLee Stripe Tank, Citizens of Humanity Dylan Jeans - a nice, more fitted boyfriend jean, and Bensimon Red Ballerines
now I'll be running around thinking of charming indie rock boys and craving Horchatas all day...might have to hit Global Market for one or here's a recipe to make your own...although I'm more of an Agua Fresca girl...

HORCHATA DE COCO


2-2/3 cups of raw rice pulverized in a spice grinder

1/2 cup crumbled "true cinnamon" bark (Ceylon/Mexican cinnamon - avail at Penzeys; but have made it with regular Cassia cinnamon sticks)

4 cups of hot water

15 blanched almonds, lightly toasted and finely ground

1 can (13-1/2 fluid oz) coconut milk

1 cup of sugar

1 cup cold water

zest/strips from one lime

A day ahead, combine rice, cinnamon, and hot water in a bowl, let cool, and refrigerate.

Recipe:

Add coconut milk and ground almonds to the soaked rice. In batches, put into blender and process until smooth (each batch should take about 5 minutes). Strain through a sieve and pour into a pitcher.

In a saucepan, add sugar, cold water, and lime zest. Cook over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Cool, remove zest, and add to pitcher. Stir well and if too thick, add some water. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.

For serving, pour over ice, or add a splash of light rum to each glass.

from Williams-Sonoma's "Savoring Mexico", Veracruz

6 comments:

  1. I am in love with this outfit. And I had no idea I could get Bensimon's in a ballerina shoe. The sales girl last weekend tried to get me to tight roll my boyfriend jeans...I felt completely foolish. DO you do this?
    P.S. I am so jealous that you saw Vampire Weekend...
    Best,
    T

    ReplyDelete
  2. vampire weekend + cute outfit = lucky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...I don't tight roll but I think a skinny roll is necessary...the bensimon's are so cute but take some breaking in...ouch - my heels are covered in bandaids :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!

    we tried to get tickets in dallas to no avail.

    oh man am i jealous.

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. i wish that i could have you at my house every morning when i got ready for work. then i could be "pretty teacher." you've got style!

    ReplyDelete

I'm hanging on your every word...let me know what you think!