Monday, October 24, 2011

Beauty Buzz

Jeanine Lobell and family on Into The Gloss
Did you happen to catch Stila founder Jeanine Lobell's interview on Into The Gloss last week?  I loved her fly by the seat of your pants, diy, make it work business ethos...completely inspiring - she's a total rock star mom...
I spent a couple of years behind a beauty counter in college when Stila first came on the scene and Kitten eyeshadow was a MUST have...really the first neutral, subtle shimmery eyeshadow...we were obsessed!  But it's been a long, long while since I've given my beauty routine that much thought so when I passed by a Sephora sans children yesterday in Palm Springs I whipped a u-turn and hopped inside to restock my larder so to speak...
I don't use Stila anymore (and Jeanine sold the company many moons ago) because I try to stick with more eco friendly products without harmful chemicals  - luckily there are some great lines out there that fit the bill!  Here are some of my new favorites:

Josie Maran Mascara - most natural mascaras tend to creep down under your eyes but this has stayed put and gives a little oomph

Josie Maran Magic Marker Lip & Cheek Stain in Jive:  I love a two for one product and am a HUGE fan of cheek stains...they work so well for a natural, flushed look - in fact my desert island product would be blush hands down...I bought Jive which is a bright, of the moment orange

Josie Maran Rapid Eye Makeup Pen in Champagne & Almond: again, two for one sucked me in - gel liner on one side with brush and shimmery shadow on the other...a quick smudge, a fast swipe - consider the beauty ante raised...

Korres Wild Rose Mineral Illuminating Powder - Korres is my other go to natural line and this powder imparts a subtle glow...easy, peasy...

Korres Pomegranate Cleansing & Make Up Removing Wipes - and for those nights when even washing my face seems like too much work I scooped up these wipes to take it all off...

Speaking of too much work...we have only one more day of vacation left so I'm off to sleep so I can soak up as much as I can...Hope you had a lovely weekend - I have much to report soon!
xoxo, M

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this post. You know I'm still searching for all natural - chemical free cosmetics, etc. I've read a lot of good stuff about Josie Maran and now I need to look into Korres. That's a new one to me. I'm also really loving 100% Pure. Just picked up a couple lip glosses, a cleanser and moisturizer. Hope you are still having some fun down south.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i used to work at nordstrom, and the stila girls were my favorite people in the entire store. i haven't bought anything in years, so i didn't realize the company had been sold.

    i just bought a few things from bobbi brown for special occasions, but basically the only thing that goes on my face and body is raw coconut oil. it works as a cleanser, moisturizer, and even deodorant.

    love all things korres, especially their shampoos. i think it's time for another sephora outing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a timely post. I just finished reading "No More Dirty Looks" and am now in the process of dropping the last few toxic holdouts in my beauty routine. I'm currently testing out a nontoxic cleanser and body lotion, as everything else I use was already "clean." But then I need to tackle makeup! I don't wear much but I'm so picky about texture, scent, etc. Have you looked at Spirity Beauty Lounge? I'm compiling quite the wishlist of nontoxic beauty products over there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. loved that ITG post as well. always inspiring to hear stories of people who went after their dreams, no holds barred. and will have to check out the josie maran eye makeup pen and lip/cheek stain. i've definitely been trying to go more natural since pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad I remembered to come over and visit your gorgeous space....sigh. So much goodness and inspiration and now, I want all of these products. I am such a sucker. :)
    xo
    Melis

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hadn't yet (until now) read that interview, and I'm so glad I did. Since we've been back, I've been a little too hard on the kids- trying to GET CAUGHT UP (homework, tests, rooms cleaned, etc). Our creative juices have gone to zero, and our 'fun meter' is in the negatives. Need to reroute. Thanks for the product recommendations :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. FYI, Jeanine was called almost 2 years ago to take the helm of Kevyn Aucoin. I keep thinking I need to seek out that line when I am in NY (I see it isn't offered anywhere in MN - ugh.) Jeanine had such respect for his work - a star of the make up and beauty world of the 1980s.
    Keep your eyes out for the line if you are traveling....I'm sure it is worthy of its legend. Love the photo of the family you show here. (even sans dad.)

    ReplyDelete

I'm hanging on your every word...let me know what you think!