Thursday, November 5, 2009

Nonchalant Mom Flu & Fashion Tips


I found Nonchalant Mom when I was pregnant and had plenty of time to peruse the web for my new babe's first wardrobe.  Owned by Minnesota native Carina Schott, this Rhode Island boutique carries some of the most beautiful and unique children's clothes on the www.  Current faves like Makie, Lucky Fish, and Oeuf; gorgeous, hard to find lines from Europe, and a few well chosen Mommy items keep it high on my window shopping list.  However, it's her wise and helpful blog items that I truly appreciate from a Mom perspective.  She recently posted her favorite holistic tips for keeping the flu at bay:

(from Nonchalant Mom)
1. Salt baths - just put a handful of salt in your kids bathtub at night, just use enough to make it just about as salty as the ocean. Let them take a nice long soak and try to get them to dunk their heads (so that their nose, ears and eyes get clean with the salt water). Just make sure their hair is dry when they get into bed.


2. Netti pot (best) or saline spray (at least) - it was suggest that these viruses nestle in the nasal passages and need to be flushed out twice a day. I can't picture my kids using a netti pot but maybe if they watch us do it they will give it a try... never hurts to try. In macrobiotics it is suggested to take a bowl of saltwater and one nasal at a time suck up the water into your sinuses and then blow it out -- it's freaky but when it's done it feels great and you can do this instead of the netti pot.

3. Gargle with warm salt water - this is easy and the kids get a kick out of making the sound! So make it fun and do it twice a day with brushing.

4. Work a vitamin C drink into the morning meal - some kids love energy-C

5. And this tip came from a reader and I thought that it made a lot of sense so I wanted to pass it onto you. Use essential oils. Most essential oils are both antiviral and antibacterial. Before going out into any crowded area, dilute an essential oil such as peppermint, tea tree oil, or lavender with a little bit of olive oil and massage the mixture all around the outside of your ears and down the sides of your throat. Also dab a little under your nose. If you use peppermint, be careful to dilute it or it will sting. I believe we contract most colds and flu through the ears when airborne bacteria land on them. The essential oils will provide a temporary barrier that I feel reduces that risk.

6. Cut out refined sugar - I know this is impossible for halloween but do your best to cut out sugar in your families diet. It will drain your energy and drain your immune system.

7. We use Astragalus for the kids instead of Echinecha because it's easier on the digestive system and we have had great results with it. But either is great for immune support especially if you catch it in the beginning so have it on-hand so that when you need it you can be ready.

8. My sister swears by homemade chicken soup! - you can't go wrong and make up your own recipe depending on what your family likes. At the very least it adds much needed liquids and a hearty dose of vegetables.

I'll also throw in that Vitamin D is supposed to be great for boosting your immune system.  I've been taking a high dosage (2500iu) and giving Lila Baby D drops (400iu) .Hope these tips help keep you and your family healthy this flu season!

Of course, I'd be totally remiss in my duties if I didn't show you a few of my shopping picks from her website as well!  Two for her, two, for him, and two for you!





Makie Smocking Dress - Habotai Pink - $128, Milo Striped Cardigan - $86














Layla amrita 3/4 sleeve cotton dress - $166, Studio Deseo Davin Necklace - $156

Enjoy!
xoxo
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm hanging on your every word...let me know what you think!