Friday, December 9, 2011

Operation January

pic - Solid Frog via Miya's pinterest
So here's my beef with the holidays (oh, come on, you knew it was coming...) - December is absolutely packed to the brim with so many events, gatherings, and seasonal fun that it becomes well, a bit of a drag and the overabundance of specialness looses it's well, specialness...and then January comes along empty, gray and quiet with it's bleak depressing skies...throw in some car window scraping, some itchy sweaters, some icy sidewalks and by February I'm grumpier than all get out...so last night, while furiously trying to put together a holiday card order and realizing that I would have to pay the express fee to get them anywhere near in time to send out for Christmas..it dawned on me...why not take half my December list and move it to January?  Those Christmas cards could easily be New Year's cards right? That advent calendar I still haven't gotten around to making? Why not have a January calendar with a fun treat or event everyday of the month?  and you know if I skip half my baking projects I might not have to drink smoothies the first half of the new year, eh?  So that's my plan...I'm taking it down a notch in December and turning it up a bit in January...balance...it's a good thing!

A couple of happy makers today...
good Christmas music...digging the She & Him holiday station on Pandora - mostly free of cheese (although a Jessica Simpson track did show up - wah?)
and finding something to put on my holiday wishlist (note to husband - Tom Dixon etch candleholder) that is 
a) something I didn't already buy for myself (oh yeah, I'm one of those)
and b) not so expensive that I'm embarrassed to ask for it
okay - that's it - Louisa is trying out her typing skills so I better close it up and get going!
xoxo,
M

PS - Want to win a $100 Pretty Mommy Gift Certificate?? Like me on Facebook and share the contest link with your friends - let me know you did on here or facebook!  I'll pick a winner on Monday...

17 comments:

  1. Love this idea! Tell me more... (so I can implement O.J. too)

    http://nomadic-d.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of moving some of the special to January, why did I never think of this?! With a baby due this coming January I'm being careful to not overdo either December or January this year but it is my usual tendency so I'm filing this away in the good idea file :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a smart momma. Such a good idea. I'm not feeling so bad about my advent calendar now. I finally decided to just scrap it as of 2 days ago. So, maybe January?! There is so much pressure that comes with December isn't there. And January is a total downer!
    And btw, I think I need that candle now. It's going on my wish list too!
    Happy Weekend!
    xo Trina

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so funny because I just had this coversation with my husband at dinner last night! It's amazing the relief I felt once I made the decision to relax and take a break. Plus, I think it will be a nice surprise for everyone to get a card in January just when they are beginning to think we forgot to send one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I posted about the craziness, too! I'm sure it's even more nuts for you because of the store. Genius ideas about moving some fun to January!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I seriously love you. This is an awesome post. I have a really good girl friend who sends a new year's card every year and I love receiving it. It's refreshing. Don't even sweat that advent calendar. You know your girls won't miss it and the baking - do what you enjoy. Have fun and if you're not, support your local bakery and let them to do the work for you and sit back with a class of bubbly and relax a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i finally just ordered my cards! and i know how feel...MN winters get looooooong.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am SO with you hunnie....and I think your plan is a brilliant one! I am going to follow suit by baking more in January, making a jan advent calendar and ....and...I can't think of anything else right now. But, I WILL! :)
    Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!
    xo
    Melis

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea. Love the idea of making january more jiyous! My advent calendar didn't happen this year....
    of course you are liked on fb xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. love it! a New Year's card is brilliant :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just shared the link on FB! Hope it's not too late to win :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for thinking outside the box! I think Operation January sounds fantastic and serves as a challenge to find and name the perfect Operation January cocktail!
    Glad you are taking a breath dear.
    And I just realized that you meant yesterday Monday, not next Monday. I need more coffee.
    Best,
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so true, isn't it? I do focus on keeping December under control, but I like the idea of extending into January. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're right and Jan is so cold. The upside is that we ski lease a house in Tahoe and we're up skiing most weekends, so don't notice the lack of social invites.

    ReplyDelete
  15. just this morning, i told Sean how worried i was for january. so much fun and chaos this month to be followed by a deflated balloon of cold wintry nothing. your idea is brilliant. january shall now be all about sparkle and renewed shine!

    ReplyDelete
  16. linked on facebook :) love your shop!

    ReplyDelete

I'm hanging on your every word...let me know what you think!