Thursday, November 18, 2010

Beatlemania!

Well, my parents didn't take me to KISS concerts when I was 7 (ie: my husband who is now a music writer - nature or nurture?)  but they did keep the Beatles red album on pretty heavy rotation - in fact I think I could still sing all the tracks back to back without missing a beat (that and the American Graffiti Soundtrack)...so I think that my early musical education didn't suffer too badly...luckily for the younger generation The Beatles finally surfaced at itunes this week and they can finally fill in those gaping holes between Taylor Swift and Glee soundtracks...(hmmm my 13 yr old cousin knew Journey's "Don't stop believing" before "I wanna Hold Your Hand")
Anyway, enough old lady chatter, what are your favorite fab four tunes? anything you plan on downloading? I always have a softspot for a little ditty called "Michelle" and Abbey Road pretty much makes the case for downloading albums instead of singles...but I realized we were missing "Yellow Submarine" after Miss L was clamoring to hear it...
xoxo, M

ps - speaking of Glee - did you catch Gwyneth this week? as if my girl crush couldn't get any worse!
pps - speaking of girl crushes - I thought Arcade Fire's Regine Chassagne looked super gorgeous in her gold spangly dress on SNL...and now I can't quit singing..."Living in the sprawl, 
Dead shopping malls rise like mountains beyond mountains, And there's no end in sight
I need the darkness, someone please cut the lights"
Good stuff...
ppps - more good stuff? Not totally new but Band Of Horses - Infinite Arms might be my new favorite...

4 comments:

  1. Hrmmm... what springs to mind Beatle-wise is...mother nature's son, i'm looking through you, & rocky racoon. I'm sure I'm missing some other favs, but how can you really choose, right?;) As far as Arcade Fire and Band of Horses, I loved their first albums but it seems I've been out of the loop for a bit (have to get on that).

    ReplyDelete
  2. "and I love her"
    "something"
    "hide your love away"
    "yes it is"
    "this boy"
    "penny lane"

    just to name a few! I grew up with John and Paul but as a young adult fell in love with George's All Things Must Pass. I also grew up with the Beach Boys, Mamas and Papas, and Simon and Garfunkle. And my parents wonder why I have a thing for the 60s/70s! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love "Let it Be"!! I could never tire of hearing this song (and the ones that you mentioned also, for that matter!).

    NEED to start watching GLEE!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you know one of my proudest parenting moments is that my girlies can tell you which Beatle is singing any given song. it's a pretty great party trick.

    my fave...blackbird. hands down.

    and gwynnie on glee...i couldn't love her more. sigh. the sliding in on the butter move. brill.

    ReplyDelete

I'm hanging on your every word...let me know what you think!